Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday.

(Above: Tulip Fields in Holland by Claude Monet)
I am so stressed. I have a bunch of big school projects due in April.

I just recently learned that my English project about Claude Monet is actually due on the 7th, not the 12th as I thought. And I won't be able to work on it on the 25th through the 3rd of April, because I'll be on vacation. So, that only gives me 8 days to work on it. And I haven't even started it. Also, I have to do a book report on The Grapes of Wrath, which is due on the 26th of April. Although, I'm not that worried about it, since I think I'll have enough time. But, my science fair project, which is due on the 19th, might get in the way of it. I don't even know what my experiment will be!

I also have to do an extra credit assignment as an addition to my poster presentation about Claude Monet. I don't really have to do it, since it's extra credit, but I really want to. Plus, if my poster sucks, then I can get extra points. For the extra credit, I'm re-painting one of Claude Monet's paintings. I chose the painting Bridge Over a Pond of Water Lilies, because it's typical Monet, with lots of trees and nature. I need to buy the materials for it, like a canvas and some paints. (May 13, about 1 and a half months later- So, I didn't get to do my painting of Bridge Over a Pond of Water Lilies. I procrastinated, so I didn't have time. Instead, I did a colored pencil drawing of a tree. Yeah. It sucked.)

I picked Monet because I really love his techniques of painting, how he used streaks of color to depict light and trees, and light on trees... Also, when we used colored pencils to draw color wheels in art class, I was really bummed because I couldn't really make the color purple with red and blue; I thought it looked too blue and too red at the same time. Then, I snuck a peek at the girl next to me, and her purples and oranges and greens were PERFECT. She could just draw yellow on top of red and make a smooth, perfect orange, while my oranges were red with streaks of yellow in it. Later, when I was looking at Claude Monet paintings in the Getty Museum, I saw that his colors and backgrounds were the same way; they had streaks of different colors in them. I felt much better after that. Also, one time when I was drawing a sunset, it just came to me to draw different colors on top of each other, like orange on top of pink on top of blue. I thought it looked really weird, and that I was weird for drawing it like that, until I saw this painting by Claude Monet. He did the EXACT same thing I did! I was so happy. (Also, I found out later that that is how that sky actually looks when the sun is setting. I didn't even realize that when I drew my weird sunset. Maybe I did it because I stare at sunsets a lot and that is how my subconscious tells me to draw sunsets.)

So, that's it. Thanks for listening. Sorry for talking too much. Even though I'm not really talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment