Thursday, May 13, 2010

"...a delicate flicker of light darted through the crisscross of triangles and parallelograms, traveling west to east in a clean, zigzag line..."

(the Robie House in Hyde Park, Chicago)

Okay, maybe you can't actually see the light through the windows in this photo, but I wanted an old picture. This one is dated 1963.

We did more testing today, this time it was science. It was pretty easy, which worries me. However, other people finished before me, so they'll probably get worse scores than I will.

I switched from reading The Jungle in my free time to reading The Wright 3 by Blue Balliet. It's a very alleviating book, but, unfortunately, it made it so I couldn't read The Jungle. Emerging from such brightness and whimsy to that was too depressing. Hopefully, later, I will be able to read The Jungle, when I am stronger.

On another note, reading The Wright 3 makes me want to go to Chicago to see the Robie House. I am not saying that like any other reader eager to spotlight the prose of a favorite author. The first 2 or 3 times I read it, I didn't want to see the house as much as I do now. It's very hard to explain. I- I just want- (sigh). I want to see the orange sunlight glitter off the candy-sepia windows! Okay, that's not right.

Hm. Okay, so the reason is because I want to touch, to feel, the life that Frank Lloyd Wright put into this house. I want to see the special beauty and fragility this house possesses. I want to place myself in the folds of cozy and welcome that are contained in the carpet, to sit and absorb the true artistry of such a beautiful landmark. This house is very old, about a century, and I long to grasp and witness the stories of joy and sadness it can tell.

Okay, that was super corny. If you could read the actual thoughts in my mind, it would make more sense.

So, that's it. It was a pain italicizing all those titles.


About 5 minutes later- Ah, ha! I've finally got it! The Number 1 word I would use to describe this book is heartwarming. Remember that, peoples.

No comments:

Post a Comment